Monday, June 02, 2008

Shelf Life of Honey, Spices, and Salt

I found an interesting article that pertains to food storage. Highlights included the following:


Honey

There's an old story about honey being found in the tomb of an ancient Egyptian king, as good as new ... and it's actually true. A jar of honey stored at a pretty consistent temperature can last for centuries. There's something about its makeup that prevents mold growth. If it's been in and out of different temperatures, it could darken or crystallize or lose its flavor, but it never technically rots or spoils.



Oregano and Spices

Every time I move, I think I should toss the jars of oregano, cinnamon, and such in the spice rack, but I end up packing them up, then unpacking them at my new digs, time after time. I thought that dried herbs lasted forever, because they don't seem to go bad, but studies show that after six months, they've lost half their original flavor.




Salt

Salt, on the other hand, is in a class by itself. It is known as a chef's (and cowboy's!) best friend because in any temperature, through thick and thin, it can add flavor, cauterize a wound, preserve pretty much any other food, and clean pots and pans! Even if it gets wet, if you evaporate the water, there's your friend salt, same as it ever was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's great information! i really didn't know that honey lasted so long, or that spices were so perishable. i know i have quite a few that are much older than six months.

Grandma C said...

I L U V honey although I know that salt really is best friend to some of the family!