Monday, April 27, 2009

Delicious Phrases - Day 1

This week, I have information on the origin of five phrases. I will put one on the blog each day - so check again tomorrow for an update.

DAY 1 - The Cold Shoulder

Believe it or not, there was a time when giving someone the cold shoulder didn’t just mean publicly snubbing them, it actually meant handing them a cold shoulder, as in a cold shoulder of beef. During the Middle Ages, the easiest way to hint to guests that they’d overstayed their welcome was to serve them a heaping mound of cold cow parts. A few platters of nothing but shoulder were supposed to drive away even the most persistent of guests.

2 comments:

Ducksfly2gether said...

There was a time when I was browising through Barnes and Noble and saw a whole book about the origin of phrases... like a dictionary for phrases. I regret not getting it, just for the fun of it. I love stuff like this. I'll be back tomorrow.

Alissa

Grandma C said...

I'd rather be served ice
cream :)