In 1964 and earlier, dimes, quarters, and half dollars were made of about 90% silver, and today many people collect these coins as an inexpensive way to get silver. It is interesting that $1 of dimes (10) has the same amount of silver as $1 of quarters (4) or $1 of half-dollars (2). If you want to check your change, silver quarters have only silver on the edge. Quarters from 1965 and later show two colors on the edge like in this picture:In the past, I have received one silver dime or quarter as change, but thought two was unusual - so I asked if they had a bunch of the older quarters. She traded me $5.75 in old quarters (23 of them) for bills and new quarters. I am guessing some kid took his dad's silver coins to buy lunch - can you say BIG trouble!!
Silver prices are very high right now and dealers will buy 'junk coins' like these for about 12 x face value ($5.75 x 12 = $69.00). I may go back tomorrow to see if they have any more
3 comments:
so here are my questions:
1-what did you have for dinner
2-are you going to take the quarters to a pawn shop or sell them on ebay or are you going to save them? how do you turn them into the big bucks?
1 - The place was WhatABurger. I had a patty melt and fries.
2 - I am going to keep them for now - in case the owner comes in distraught, then I could return them. Plus, silver is a good thing in troubled times. But, since the price is so high right now, if the economy starts to get back on track, I may sell before the price drops. Then, I can take them to most coin shops and get current value for them.
I wish I had been with you!!! This is great! Keep them.
Post a Comment